THE ANGEL TAP
In the late 18th century, The Angel was owned by the Osborn family. It was passed down to John Greenfield, and then to his son John Osborn Greenfield. As far as we can tell, the younger John Greenfield was a successful businessman, and generally hired a manager to run the Inn until his death in 1869.
Across the street, a property which is now a private house served as a tap to the Inn, since it did not have a separate liquor license. Very little is known about the origins of the tap, but we do know that it existed by the second half of the 19th century. The source of this knowledge is a record of the petty sessions at Petworth on November 28, 1863, which refers to a stolen duck purchased from Charles Mitchell at The Angel Tap.